Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Oct 5

Baxter

Up at 5:30am.  I ate my last meal, the couscous and Spam.  I was on trail by 6:30am, after packing up a wet tent.  It was still cloudy, but not raining.  The trail was wet.  The air is not as cold today though.  There was only about 500 feet of elevation gain this morning, over 8 or 9 miles, as I made my way to Rainbow Ledges. I stopped there for about 5 minutes, just to take in another view of Katahdin.  The hiking has been easy so far, and I'm definitely in 'go' mode.  Head down, plowing down the trail.  I stopped at Hurd Brook lean-to for a water break.  Slims gave me a couple packs of peanuts to tide me over.  In a few more miles I finally saw the sign that marked the northern end of the 100-mile Wilderness.  I stepped out of the woods, onto the road, and headed across Abol Bridge.  From the bridge, you get a perfect view of Katahdin, unfortunately for me, it was locked in clouds at the moment.  This isn't a town here or anything.  Just a campground, and a store.  But it was a much needed oasis.  I walked around the isles of the convenience store, trying to decide what I wanted to eat first.  Then I got the good idea to go into the small restaurant on-site, and eat a real meal before doing any shopping.  Yes, I'll have the 1 pound hamburger please.  Kokopelli was there too.  He's out of the hospital and wearing a huge brace on his leg now.  His girlfriend had picked him up and driven him out here.  He wanted to see Katahdin up close.  It was so good to see him and know that he's okay now.  I could see how much it hurt, not to be able to finish.  But with a smile, he said he'll be back next year to climb Katahdin.


View from Abol Bridge.
After lunch, and resupplying, our group headed out into the woods.  We entered into Baxter State Park.  At the information board at the trail head was ATC ridge runner, Johnathan.  The last time I saw him was on Day 1, March 24, on Springer Mountain, where he had handed me a book of matches.  He said if any of us still had the matches, bring them to the ceremony tonight at the Birches in Katahdin Stream Campground.  No idea what this meant.  I thought the matches would get me a souvenir at the camp store or something.  We signed in with Jonathan, planning to stay at the Birches lean-to tonight.  The hiking in Baxter this afternoon was amazing.  More ponds, flat terrain, waterfalls, and beautiful colors.  There were even 2 streams we had to ford.  The lower fork of the Nesowadnehunk was waist deep, and fast moving.  We spent a bit of time trying to find an easier way, but eventually I just went all in.  Wet shoes, wet socks, wet shorts.  Who cares, I only have one more day right?  The upper fork of the stream was a mile further down the trail.  It was a much more dangerous crossing, but fortunately we were able to rock-hop across to the other side.  I kept thinking, it was crazy and hilarious that these 2 fords in Baxter were just as bad or worse than anything we just saw in the Wilderness.

Seriously?  No more fords, please!
We made it to Katahdin Stream Campground, and checked in at the ranger station there.  I signed in, and was the 627th northbound hiker to do so this year.  Atom Bomb met his parents there, and they drove him out of the park to stay with them in town for the night.  Slims, Old Tomato, Yogi, BooBoo and I, checked in at the Birches for the night.  Around 6:30pm, ridge runner Jonathan, and ridge runner Regina showed up at the campsite.  They called us over to the picnic table for the match lighting ceremony.  Now I'm not going to give away the secret of what actually happened to that book of matches I had from Springer Mountain.  All I'll say is that they did come in handy for the ceremony.  Jonathan and Regina gave us an amazing and warm final gift of trail magic.  A fitting end to an epic journey.  21.2 miles today.  I managed to get out of the Wilderness and into Baxter after some incredible hiking.  Now I'm happy, and well fed, and getting ready to spend my last night on the trail.  I'm having mixed emotions about tomorrow though.  I haven't spoken to my family since I left Monson over a week ago.  I know they're planning to come up to meet me, but I have no idea if they are on their way or not.  Rainbow and Apache are still somewhere behind too.  I've hiked all the way from Georgia with these guys.  They've got to be here too.  It wouldn't be the same without them.  I'm sitting here in camp at the base of Katahdin, and I'm not sure if I should hike it tomorrow or not.  I know I should.  I'm here now, and if the weather is good, I shouldn't wait.  It could snow at any time, and they could close the trail for safety concerns.  I can't wait around, or I risk not being able to finish at all.  Regardless of what happened, I knew I needed to push really hard and get out of the Wilderness as soon as possible.  I did that.  Now, I'm not sure what I should do about summitting.  I guess all I can do is sleep on it, and see what the morning brings.  As for now, it looks like tomorrow, I'll be a thru-hiker.

Katahdin.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.