Thursday, May 17, 2012

May 16

600

I got a good start this morning and headed down the trail.  Sun shining.  Life is good.  Shortly down the trail, I passed the 600 mile mark!  Someone had made the numbers 6-0-0 out of pine cones right in the middle of the trail.  Awesome!  I did a little bit of climbing, but nothing to bad.  This section of trail was the land of 1000 spiderwebs.  Tunnel-web spiders maybe?  They were everywhere, glistening with dew in the early morning light.  I'm trying to push another big day, 21 miles, into Woods Hole hostel, to set myself up for a short 10 mile day into Pearisburg on Thursday.  Unfortunately, the big day yesterday, in wet shoes, left a 3 inch hot spot on the arch of my left foot.  It hasn't blistered up, and looks more like a bruise.  Just from a long day of wet friction.  I went over Kimberling Creek, which was quite wide.  The suspension bridge that let hikers cross the creek was impressive.  Next was a road crossing.  Decision time.  I could go into Trent's Grocery for treats.  I decided not to, since I had stopped in Bland.  The hike north of there passed Dismal Falls.  I didn't take the 0.3 mile side trail.  Oh well.  I'll have to come back, maybe when I go back to Grayson Highlands again in good weather so I can actually see the views.  For the next few miles I was walking on pine straw, through rhododendron tunnels, right along the creek.  Awesome.  I stopped at Wapiti shelter for a quick break.  There were several hikers there that I had met before.  They had bought tacky dress clothes, full suits, ties, and vests at a thrift store, then gone to buy beer, and were playing beer pong at the picnic table next to the shelter.  Awesome.  It's one thing to hike out several cases into the middle of the woods, but to do it dressed to the nines...awesome.  I just stayed long enough to grab some water and a quick snack, since there was more hiking to do.  I had a tough climb coming out of the shelter, but once I was on the ridge there was a nice spot to take a break with spectacular views.  This is what I love about hiking in Virginia!  The terrain has been pretty nice, but still rugged.  Views, pastures, forests, balds.  It doesn't get old.  I hiked on to the gravel road at Sugar Run Gap, and took it 0.5 off the trail to Woods Hole hostel.  I was just in time to take a quick shower, and get dinner.  The bunk house was full, and so were the rooms in the main house.  All together, there were about 25 hikers there tonight.  For a fee, we chowed down on beef stir fry, salad, and fresh baked bread.  Before the meal, we all joined hands for a moment of silence, then went around the circle introducing ourselves and telling everyone one thing we were thankful for.  The main house at Woods Hole dates back to the 1880's.  The owners there run a hiker hostel and a farm.  They grow a lot of their own produce, and source local farms for meat and other foods.  They hold a yoga session, offer massages, and nighttime meditation.  And of course there's hiker treats like soda, candy, and ice cream.  Incredible place.  I set up my tent in the tenting area just up the driveway.  I had four sodas.  This is a place worth coming back to.  One day, one day.

Woods Hole Hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.