Left Kincora, headed back to the trail, and into the Pond Mountain Wilderness. The first spring blooms of rhododendron were starting to come out along this section. Before too long I came to Laurel Falls. There was a huge black snake on the trail on the way down to the falls, and a cool looking dark blue salamander too. Laurel Falls was impressive, best on the trail so far. Next I had a huge climb up to Pond Flats, which wasn't really flat, it was just two and a half miles of climbing up a giant mountain, then three miles down the other side. I came out of the woods, to a road at the Shook Branch Recreational Area, and there were some fellow hikers there along with some trail magic. Tom, twice a former thru-hiker, had brought chips, crackers, popcorn, and sodas, and talked with us for a bit. We went down to the sandy beach swimming area across the road at the lake. I went for a brief, cold swim. KB stayed for a few minutes, but decided to push on to do some more miles. Soon after, who pulls up into the parking lot, but Apache (Joe)! His ankle is healed up after a couple weeks of rest, and he's getting back on the trail. His mom went back into Hampton and brought us fresh fruit - a huge watermelon, strawberries, and oranges. Second trail magic of the day! After a lazy afternoon enjoying the lake we hiked another 1.8 miles to the Watauga Lake shelter. I set up my tent behind the shelter and Apache was hammocking right next to me. He said the ankle felt good, so that's great news. Shelter log says there's a bear in the area, so everyone made use of the bear pole to hang their food.
| Laurel Falls. |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.