I planned for a short day today, about 3.6 miles, to Standing Bear Farm. I left the shelter and after 0.9 miles, I was officially done with the Smokies. The trail crossed over the state line into Tennessee, and soon after I walked by a bunch of tents (now that you are out of the national park you can pitch tents in the woods again). It was Slims, Earthling, Joe, Tink, and Apollo. All who I had stayed at the Blueberry patch with back in Hiawassee Ga, and I hadn't seen them since the NC state line back at Bly Gap! I hiked under Interstate 40, to a gravel road where the AT reentered the woods. Float was waiting there for his parents to take him into town for a day, and when they arrived, they brought donuts. Awesome second breakfast. Half a mile further I came to the road to the hostel at Standing Bear. What an awesome place. Rustic log cabins, bunk house, shower room, and out house. Another building had a laundry room, and kitchen facilities complete with a counter-top pizza oven. I went into another side building, the 'store', to pick up my resupply box. The 'store', was fully stocked with all kinds of hiker foods, gear, fuel, toiletries, and treats. A fridge and freezer were full of bacon, eggs, frozen entrees, pizzas, etc. that you could cook in the kitchen. I spent a nice leisurely day on the grounds, while dozens of hikers strolled in. I was glad to get in early in the day and get a bunk space. This was a really cool place, with really cool people, and really catered to a hiker's desires. A little reward, or oasis, for completing the Smokies.
| "squirrely" having a snack at Standing Bear Farm, TN |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.