Started off with a big climb this morning up to Tray Mountain. Elevation of 4430 feet. At the shelter we were taking a break, when Josh came up behind us. He told KB and I that he had started from Springer with 3 one pound jars of peanut butter. He had eaten one, was working on the second, and was totally sick of it. The third jar, he put down on the shelter floor with a twenty dollar bill and told us we could split the money if we took the jar of peanut butter from him and carried it with us. Our first meal in town was on him! The rest of the day went pretty well, but in the afternoon we had a big, steep climb up Kelly Knob, another 4000 footer. I did great going up it, took a brief break at the top, but as soon as I started moving to head down the mountain, my right knee siezed up in pain. I knew all too well what this feeling could mean, so I took it really slow down Kelly. The downhill hurts most of all. We got to the crossing for the shelter at Deep Gap, but the shelter was a steep 0.3 miles downhill. While pondering my next move, it started to rain. So I put on my pack cover and rain jacket. Then my stomach started acting up, and I hurried off into the woods to answer nature's call. A sense of panic started to creep in, but I decided to just sit and wait, assess the situation, calm down, and then make a decision. I ended up waiting around in the rain for about an hour or so, and the knee was feeling managable, so I pushed on. KB went on ahead, since I was moving so slowly. He was wanting to make it to the next road crossing to tent, in order to catch the shuttle into Hiawassee first thing in the morning and do a true zero day. I was in a lot of pain, and hobbled the 3.4 miles into the picnic area at Dicks Creek Gap, just before dark. A break in the rain held off long enough for me to set up my tent right beside one of the picnic tables. KB and I talked to a local Boy Scout troop, #605 out of Baldwin, Georgia, that was setting up in the area as well. We were invited over to their picnic canopy for a full cookout of burgers, dogs, chips, cookies, and Gatorade! KB is an Eagle Scout himself, so he was a big hit of course. I was feeling pretty miserable with the knee acting up, and still having some, lets just say 'stomach', issues, but the kindness of the troop not only filled my stomach, but lifted my spirits, and that is what trail magic is really all about.
| Entering another Wilderness Area. |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.