Tuesday, April 10, 2012

April 4

Short Bus

We woke up to clearing skies, and hustled down the trail, 3.8 miles to Winding Stair Gap, in about an hour and fifteen minutes, to catch the 9am shuttle into Franklin, NC.  This is an unplanned stop for me, but after yesterday, I feel I deserve a break.  That's the great thing about this hike.  If I feel like stopping, I can, if I feel like going I can.  HYOH.  The shuttle pulls up around 930, a short bus driven by Ron Haven.  Ron is a local politician of sorts, and owns several hotels and businesses in the area.  He provides the shuttle service free of charge, even if you don't plan on patronizing one of his hotels in town.  He told us many stories along the way.  To say Ron is a character, and that he is hiker friendly, would both be understatements.  Ron pulled the bus off into an overlook, and told us the scene we were about to see only happens a few times each year.  I can happen if the temperatures are just right.  We looked out from the mountain, down into a valley of clouds.  Peaks of other mountains poked through in places, like islands in a vast sea of grey.  Incredible!  Darwin, KB, Running Water and I checked in at the Budget Inn.  I took a shower!  Did some laundry.  Got some awesome country cookin' at Corbin's Country Buffet in the middle of 'downtown'.  We got back on the shuttle at 4pm and got dropped off across town where there's a big outfitter, grocery stores, Walmart, etc.  I got a blizzard at DQ.  Triple chocolate goodness.  Back at the hotel, I was cleaning my water filter, and dropped the stupid filter screen thingy down the sink drain.  Running Water gave me some line and a fish hook, and after about 15 minutes, I successfully fished out my filter screen, LOL!  I'm awesome.  We left the room in search of more town food nearby, but ended up at McD's.  Dollar menu it is.  Still tasted great though.  It was great to spend a day in town to make me feel human again and wash off the hiker funk.

Early morning fog in the valley below Winding Stair Gap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.