We started out from the shelter this morning with nothing but climbing. Went up to Little Rocky Row, and took a quick breather, then up and over Big Rocky Row. After that we had some nice ridge walking. Along the way we took another break to swing on a vine that was hanging from a tree. Passed a monument dedicated to a 4 year old that had died on Bluff Mountain in the 1800's after he had gotten lost in the woods. Made it to the BRP, at a parking area just past Punchbowl shelter. HB and Croc had decided to walk the parkway to get to Waynesboro, where they were going to aqua-blaze (float down a river) the section that went along the Shenandoahs. We hiked on that afternoon, knocking out another 11 miles or so. Pretty easy hiking along the Brown Mountain Creek area. We came to the road crossing at Rt. 60. Bambam was there in his truck waiting for us, and gave us a ride 10 miles into Buena Vista, Va. We drove into the city park there, and there just happened to be a campout/music festival going on that day. We pitched our tents in the camping area and walked around to check out the festivities. I saw a canopy set up that had the Devil's Backbone logo on it. That's a local brewery in the Charlottesville area, which I have been to before. When I got to the canopy, who else did I see buy HB and Croc! They had gotten picked up off the road up on the BRP, and taken down into Buena Vista. Funny how that worked out. Apache, Rainbow Eyes, and I went to get some dinner at a BBQ place across from the park. Then I stayed up late, or rather early in the morning, hanging out at the brewery tent. What's great about Devil's Backbone, is they are really hiker friendly there. The have a phone number hikers can call, that is also printed on the bottom of their six-packs, and someone will come to the trail head at Reeds Gap on the Blue Ridge Parkway, pick you up, take you to the brewery and let you camp out on the grounds, and drive you back up to the trail in the morning. Pretty awesome. I finally crawled into my tent at 4am. What a busy day. Hiked 20 miles. I crossed the 800 mile mark. Went to a music festival. Stayed up 'til 4. Another day on the AT.
| Hangin' (literally) out on Little Rocky Row |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.