The area around Rice Field was gorgeous in the morning sun. Rolling meadows with great views, wild flowers, butterflies, and song birds. The next several miles were a really nice ridge walk. The ferns growing in this area were enormous. Some grew up past my waist. Really cool. I took a lunch break around Symms Gap, saw lots more butterflies, and a hawk! More great hiking in the afternoon. Took a snack break at Pine Swamp Branch shelter, then entered the Peters Mountain Wilderness. It soon started to sprinkle, and as I passed "the Captain's place", I debated riding the zip line across the creek to get to his house, to stay the night there. I kept hiking though, figuring it was only a few more miles to the next shelter and I'd try to beat the rain. As soon as I crossed the footbridge over Stony Creek, the rain started, and I made it to Bailey Gap shelter soaked. I used my bear bag line to string up a makeshift clothes line on the side of the shelter to hang my wet clothes on. Second day out from town, and knocked out 16 miles today. Based on the notes I'm seeing in the shelter registers, I'm still at least a day behind the crew. Got some catching up to do.
| Wild flowers and butterflies |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.